Thursday, November 26, 2009

Adventures in hospital land

Matt giving me my shot at home. FUN.

Food? It looks like dog food..can't believe they wanted me to eat that at the GAG
Cody THRILLED to be at the hospital hanging with me

Good ole Sgt. Townson hanging out in my room with the kids

The beginning of November brought on some fun new adventures for our family, fun more fun! Ok so I'm a bit sarcastic but hey, that's me. Back in October we had some test results come back showing my liver enzymes were far too high and the doctors at Fort Polk couldn't peg what it was, so we spent the entire month with tons of tests and no answers to only have the liver mysteriously go right back to normal with no explanation, so we went back to just thinking it was a weird fluke.

Early November I spent throwing up, exhausted and having an odd aversion to food. Sure I knew I was hungry...but I couldn't bring myself to eat anything, it all looked, smelled or tasted weird. I went into Labor and Delivery at fort Polk after 3 days of not being able to eat but a few bites and throwing up, thinking I'm being a big baby and just being dehydrated. Yup, polk say's hey you are dehydrated go get fluids in the ER. While there I asked the Er doctor to run some blood work to see if I was possibly anaemic because I had been so cold and shaky and just felt off. While we waited for the blood work Matt had to go get the kids from the school bus, that's when the Doctor came back all worried for me, saying they would be transferring me by ambulance to Rapides Women's and Children's hospital with what's called HELLP Syndrom which is basically preeclampsia and dangerous and the only way to make the Mother better and is the delievery of the baby. They spent the next few hours prepping me to take Aidan at only 24 weeks. FAR too early for him to have a real chance at survival. Fortunately the Dr's ( I had..oh 7? lol) came back thinking it was Fatty liver of pregnancy (still as bad as preeclampsia and requires early delievery to make Mom better). The Doctor's just didn't know what to do with me. I had extremely high liver enzymes, VERY low platelet levels, my white and red blood cell counts were very low as well, I was also severely B12 deficient (they said to get as low as I was I must have had an inability to absorb it for at least 5-6 years, possibly being why Matty was such a small baby because I had to be that deficient while pregnant with him), and it came back that I had recently had Parvo B19 virus (yes.....PARVO..hello??!! yessss like what your dog gets, only for humans and it can be as small as a cold or severe as a flu and can cause the fetus to spontaneously abort).

While in the hospital I saw 5 specialists (Not one could figure out what was wrong with me because i didn't fit all the symptoms for either fatty liver or HELLP. I had ultrasounds which showed Aidan to be strong and healthy but both my liver and spleen were enlarged, the spleen very much larger than it should be, and again...they had no explanation. Near the end of the week the Hematologist/oncologist had decided that the B12 shots were making a tiny improvement and while all my levels were still either high (liver) or low( blood) I was stabilized and no longer dropping lower and lower. I was released on bed rest for the time being until who knows when, probably once Aidan is born. We still don't know what's going on with my body but the B12 seems to be helping my blood levels get better. I have a severe chance of bleeding from the liver and spleen and being anemic, and I can get sick pretty easily because of my immune system right now, so things are still....not great but I'm home!! I actually got released on our 1st wedding anniversary and spent the day with my love not hooked up to machines.

I have to say thank you to some AMAZING people without whom that week and the weeks that have followed would not have gone nearly as smoothly as they did. 1st. Douglas Townson, Matt's Sgt. The poor man has no kids, and no younger siblings and didn't have a clue what to do with kids let alone three! But he spent the whole week, sleeping on our couch, feeding the kids and getting them to and from school, and running them back and forth to the hospital so they could see me, and so Matt could stay with me. We were very worried that at any moment they would whisk me off and take Aidan and we just didn't want to chance him being an hour away from the hospital.

Melita George who had to help pick Matty up from school when he threw up and was sick to his tummy.

And Mom and Dad Morris who drove out here to take care of me. Being on bed rest is far harder than I thought it would be and if Mom weren't as clean a freak as I am I wouldn't be able to sit here like I should.

Lastly my amazing husband who held my hand and kept me calm, washed my hair for me while I was hooked up to all sorts of fun hoses, and kept sneaking me non hospital food when no one was looking!! Baby you are my sunshine and kept me sane.

Thanks to all those who called and emailed and sent flowers, they really brightened the room! We love you all and will keep everyone up as much as we can, for now it's all wait and guess, so as soon as we'll know!

No comments: